Open by appointment only. Call us at (619) 692-3566

18th C. French Directoire Side Chair With Needle Point Seat (Musee De Cluny)

$1,006.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.

This product is unavailable

A beautiful, directoire period 18th Century french side chair with a needle point seat. The needle point has a unique 
multicolored floral design with foxes the edge of the needle says Musee De Cluny XV Siecle. The chair has a wonderful carved leaf pattern on the top face of the chair and a splay back. 
has square tapered legs with a fluted pattern carved into the front two legs. This chair was part of the collection of 
The Musee de Cluny in Paris, France, as can be seen from the marking on the underside of the seat. 
Bottom of the seat reads:
                                          "Musee De Cluny XV Siecle" 
                 Translating to:
                                        "Cluny Museum 15th Century"
Musee de Cluny 
The Musée de Cluny ("Cluny Museum"), also known as Musée national du 
Moyen Âge – Thermes et hôtel de Cluny ("National Museum of the Middle Ages – Cluny thermal baths and mansion), 
is a museum in Paris, France. It is located in the heart of the Latin quarter in Paris' 5th arrondissement 
at 6 Place Paul-Painlevé, south of the Boulevard Saint-Germain, between the Boulevard Saint-Michel 
and the Rue Saint-Jacques. The Hôtel de Cluny is partially constructed on the remnants of the third 
century Gallo-Roman baths (known as the Thermes de Cluny, thermal baths from the Roman era of Gaul.) 
In fact, the museum itself actually consists of two buildings: the frigidarium ("cooling room"), within 
the vestiges of the Thermes de Cluny, and the Hôtel de Cluny itself, which houses its impressive collections. 
The frigidarium is about 6,000 square meters. The museum houses one of the most important, 
global collections of objects and art from the Middle Ages. Among the principal holdings of the museum are 
the six The Lady and the Unicorn (La Dame à la licorne) tapestries. The structure is perhaps the most 
outstanding example still extant of civic architecture in medieval Paris. It was formerly the town house (hôtel) 
of the abbots of Cluny. The first Cluny hôtel was built after the Cluny order acquired the Ancient thermal 
baths in 1340. It was built by Pierre de Chaslus. The structure was rebuilt by Jacques d'Amboise, abbot 
in commendam of Cluny 1485–1510; it combines Gothic and Renaissance elements. In 1843, it was 
refashioned into a public museum by Alexandre du Sommerard to preserve relics of France's Gothic past.
Approx. Dimensions:
Height: 37 1/2"
Width: 15"
Depth: 17 1/2"
Condition:
Needle point has slight tear. 
The chair has some nicks and scuffs throughout the body. 
There is a small loss to the back right leg
Please see all photos for complete description.
All CA Residents must pay CA Sales Tax
***The price of the item does not include shipping. We are able to obtain hassle free shipping quotes from various shippers. In order to obtain a shipping quote, please message us with your delivery zip code. Unless otherwise stated, all shipping is handled by third party companies which are in no way affiliates of our company. In most cases, shipping fees are paid directly to the shipper of your choice. Standard delivery time for freight items is approximately 3-6 weeks but can be much sooner at times. Please message us with your delivery zip code for a quote.***
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               LOC. F