Nottingham School,18th c. Chippendale Pierced Ladderback Chairs.
The Nottingham School was a design center
along the Pennsylvania, Maryland border in the mid 18th c.
Closely reliant on architectural traditions,
Nottingham-area joiners and cabinetmakers creatively
employed a variety of stylistic designs that are most
closely linked to Philadelphia.
Both chairs are signed on the underside of back seat rail,
W. Brown. By Cabinet Maker and Joiner, William Brown.
William Brown was bound, by his father, James Brown,
to the cabinetmaker Hugh Alexander of Nottingham.
He apprenticed with Alexander in 1757
"to learn the Arts, Trades or Mysteries of a
Carpenter & Wheel Wright".
Width: 21 2/4"
Very good age-related condition
ID. 500 Loc. F